Technological advancements happen rapidly and new products are released frequently making the global technology market highly competitive. Businesses who rely on their software constantly risk becoming outdated or falling behind their competition. In order to stay current, they need to be willing to migrate their applications to new platforms and databases, use new programming languages and operating systems. There are risks to this as well, however, users and customers in today’s world have high expectations and may require you to modernize your applications.
Driving factors to assess when deciding whether to migrate include:
- Maintenance issues
- Compatibility issues
- Scalability issues
- Performance issues
- Security issues
- Reliability issues
- Lack of skilled resources to maintain, operate and to repair
- Increased operating cost
If your business is facing issues in the above list, modernizing your applications by migrating to a new platform may help drive down costs, improve performance, and increase ease of use, while providing innovative opportunities to develop your business.
Migrating applications to a new platform is not an easy task and it requires skilled resources to engage in the process. Although automated tools are sometimes available to assist in a migration project, they typically have limited capabilities and the expertise of experienced migration teams is still required. To migrate properly, functionality and the technical aspects must be mapped first for the existing application. Some of the application functionalities may require re-coding to work correctly on the latest platform. Strong technical skills together with an in-depth understanding of the application’s functionality are necessary to do this properly. Companies providing migration services should maintain a dedicated pool of resources skilled in legacy technologies as well as the latest ones. .NET, Azure, and Cloud are some examples of the viable platforms currently available for application migration.
The right way to approach a large-scale migration project is to have a strategy. Below are a few points to be aware of before starting a migration project:
- Adequate planning- Planning is the most important aspect of commencing a conversion operation. Plan for resources, budget, schedule, defining requirements, testing, and implementation.
- Analyze the risk – Calculating the risks associated is very important while doing a conversion. Data is the core of your organization so it should be properly backed up, and the migration process has to be accomplished without losing any data and preserves its integrity. Information security should be maintained during all phases of the migration process as cybersecurity issues such as information leakage, data breaches, Cross Site Scripting (XSS), SQL Injection, Cross-Site Request Forgery (CSRF), session management vulnerabilities, etc. are becoming common these days.
- Documentation- Often overlooked, the existing applications should be documented properly as should any planned changes or additional features. Ensure your documentation includes all requirements, your approach, software and hardware to be used, as well as how you plan to test the migrated application.
- Multi-Phase Deployment – Application migration is best-accomplished batch by batch. Divide an application into logical segments and concentrate on individual items and then move further in a sequential process. This will allow your team to have a better focus on each segment.
Following are the benefits of migrating the business applications into the latest technologies:
- Increased robustness with support for web, mobile and client-server environments.
- Better performance with native optimization and caching services.
- Increased Security- The latest platforms will successfully obstruct or nullify the chances of a possible malware attack. Migration to the .NET platform has an added advantage of Windows Authentication feature which helps to easily maintain the security of applications. Moreover, with migration, security glitches in the existing application can be addressed when re-engineering of the application.
- Increased reliability.
- Simplified execution of tasks such as Form Submission, Client Authentication, etc.
- Lower maintenance costs- as the resources are readily available when compared to an outdated platform, so maintenance cost will be obviously lower.
- Increased Productivity – Latest platforms will be much streamlined and easy to handle, hence increases productivity.
- Straightforward deployment of the application as most of the latest technologies comes with built-in configuration information.
Migration of your applications to a more up to date platform will allow you to not only maintain but add functionality to your applications faster, thereby increasing the value of your application to your business. Increased usability and accessibility should certainly not be overlooked. Additionally, protecting your data and applications should be high on your list of priorities as outdated platforms can be vulnerable to security breaches. Migration to a stable platform provides better performance which in turn helps to earn customer satisfaction to boost your business.
To understand more about how an application migration can help your business operate more effectively, contact Macrosoft at [email protected].