VFP to .NET Migration
VISUAL FOX PRO to .NET MIGRATION
Visual FoxPro (VFP) is an object oriented and data-centric language produced from Microsoft. VFP version 9.0 offers powerful features with which desktop , web applications and database solutions of all sizes can be build using the robust set of tools. The inclusion of local cursor engine and tightly coupled data and language makes VFP 9.0 easier to work with.
End of the road for VFP
Microsoft announced phasing out of FoxPro and Visual FoxPro with the final version of the product VFP 9.0, released in 2007. Microsoft will no longer support VFP, as they care concentrating on with their development efforts on SQL Server and .NET framework.
Need for VFP Migration
FoxPro and Visual FoxPro has been a dynamic application development platform for lots of medium scale applications. Visual FoxPro 9.0 provides tools for developing high performance, 32-bit database applications and components. However, VFP has shown slowness in business process, especially on multi-user platforms with the increase of database size.
Moreover, the rapid growth of hardware and business to web based and mobile based applications, there is a need for VFP Migration to the new trending technology. Future businesses demands portable and interoperable applications. Also, there is a higher risk of unavailability of VFP developers with VFP being considered as an outdated technology.
All these factors demands the need to migrate Visual FoxPro to .NET to foster the need for better business process, especially on multi-user platforms.
Migrating to .NET Environment
With Microsoft .NET framework, there comes language interoperability which allows developers to leverage the features of several programming languages. .NET framework also provides a large library, Visual Studio IDE, and Microsoft SQL Server. Visual FoxPro’s relational database ports well and suits with Microsoft SQL Server.
VFP to .NET migration requires converting VFP applications to new languages in .NET framework, this demands the need for more effort and expertise in both the environments. Visual FoxPro to .NET conversion will pave the way to easily devise future changes and enhancements.
Why choose Macrosoft for your Migration needs?
Macrosoft offers smooth, cost-effective and efficient migration to .NET framework. We have a set of professionals skilled in both FoxPro and .NET environments. Macrosoft has served large number of clients for development and support of applications in FoxPro and Visual FoxPro with proven migration methodology. Macrosoft brings years of experience in application migration and has expertise in .NET environment with dedicated resources. Also, we are Microsoft Gold Certified Partner and hence we have access to support and resources.
Macrosoft’s VFP to .NET Migration Strategy
Determine Scope and Requirements
- Document existing system and assess all PRGs, SCXs, FRXs and DBFs
- Develop a list of Functional requirements for new framework and applications
- Develop a migration strategy and spec out the development effort. Decide how to convert DBFs and whether migration of existing FP and VFP application modules will be incremental or completed as a whole.
Migrate Data and Applications
- Create a Sql server or database, Map data stores utilizing SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS).Import data and adjust database structure as needed.
- Convert application logic to .NET framework. Map control structures, variable and declarations. Convert FP Code to Visual basic, .Net, C#, XML or other .NET supported languages.
- Convert FoxPro forms, reports, menu and any other user interface items to .NET forms, controls and reports.
- Unit test each item.
Test and Turn Over
- System testing to ensure .NET Framework versions functionally and visually equivalent to FP application
- Import final version legacy data and conduct load testing
- Deploy to application server
- Turnover document on migrated data and application