Why Outsource VB6 Migration?
VB6 migration to .NET requires significant re-write effort to produce a functionally similar .NET application. Automated tools available in the market for code conversion perform a 1-to-1 analysis and porting, but do not offer a complete experience and functionality of the new application. In reality, a complete migration project requires thorough analysis and testing by skilled resources in VB6 as well as .NET framework. Underlying difference is that VB6 is an event-driven object based programming language while .NET framework is completely object oriented. Macrosoft has expert VB6 and .NET teams to perform both tasks and collaborate with each other during VB6 to .NET conversion.
Keeping an eye on nuances while migrating VB6 to .NET
Microsoft Upgrade wizard is a useful VB6 to VB.NET converter that automatically converts most of the code base. When converting VB6 to VB.NET, any existing module of function piece of code with good interoperability with .NET Framework assembly can be reused by the developer. He can plug in the existing code in the .NET class library and call the module/function from common assembly. This helps by saving time and effort during the application conversion. Macrosoft’s unique set of developers have seen these patterns hundreds of time and are able to quickly identify and reuse code to improve efficiency.
Macrosoft follows a modular functional methodology to approach all VB6 migration projects.
- Scope is determined and formal requirement analysis is conducted
- The team creates a cohesive migration strategy and estimates the migration effort
- Application logic is converted to .NET framework
- HTML, form, menus, UI items and data reports are converted to .NET framework
- Ensure all source codes get converted to the .NET language (i.e., convert VB6 to VB.NET or convert VB6 to C#)
- Application is repeatedly tested to ensure it is bug-free
- Legacy data is imported and data validation tests performed
- The application is deployed and parallel runs conducted to ensure smooth operation and hand over.
We perform an in-depth analysis of the application and devise a migration strategy best suited for upgrading VB6 to VB.NET 2010. Our team has proven experience in migrating a wide range of applications to the .NET platform.
Email us at [email protected] to subscribe to our .NET migration blog with insightful articles on VB6 migration.