Microsoft .NET is definitely a quantum leap over the traditional legacy systems like Visual FoxPro (VFP), COBOL, VB, etc. Though organizations have invested huge amounts in building their systems using legacy technologies, there is a need for migrating existing legacy applications into the .NET framework. So the question, as to which application needs migration to .NET is something to be debated on, whether the entire application or only selected components.
However, maintaining a checklist as listed below would be of much importance for a successful application modernization and legacy migration.
- Conduct an application assessment to identify the legacy system that would be repurposed with the modernized application.
- Evaluating the criticality of the information the repurposed application would be processing during legacy data migration.
- Perform a security threat assessment to determine the extent of data loss from a modernized application.
- Conduct a software risk assessment to rule out any vulnerability in the application.
- Data loss protection safeguards should be applied to reduce application information loss and result in a positive Return On Investment (ROI).
The overall application architecture will play a major role in determining the migration of the application. Whether be for simple applications or even multi-tier applications, the type of migration approach chosen will decide which should be migrated first or if the entire application should be rewritten. If the existing application needs to be scalable and performance is the key factor, then .NET is the ideal framework.
Popularity of .NET as an ideal platform for migration:
- .NET’s Object Oriented feature (Abstraction, Encapsulation, Polymorphism, Inheritance) makes it an ideal platform for moving existing application to .NET.
- .NET’s reliance on Open Standards (CLI, XML, and SOAP) with rich enhancements to the ASP model is an important addition.
- Code reusability is of special importance as it helps developers decide on how to migrate.
- .NET being a new technology is cost effective and focusses on rapid application development.
As technologies are advancing rapidly, there is a need to migrate from the existing legacy system and move on to systems that are built on new platforms, which include .NET, Azure, Cloud and various other prominent platforms. Here at Macrosoft, we have dedicated teams that specialize in application migration to .NET with adequate technical expertise and experience that would provide your business an edge. Our well-experienced teams help your business to mitigate risks that arise while making a transition from legacy applications to .NET platforms. Macrosoft’s team of software engineers have been successfully developing in this environment for years as a Microsoft Gold Certified Partner.